Supplementary Schools, often referred to as Complementary Schools, provide rich opportunities for developing community cohesion and individual pupils' learning.
Luton has a wide range of Supplementary Schools supporting language learning in a range of languages including Arabic, Urdu, Chinese, Polish, Bengali and Tamil.
There are also Supplementary Schools with a more targeted focus on bolstering competence in literacy, mathematics and leadership skills.
Over five hundred children and young people, attending Luton schools, attend Supplementary Schools in Luton. Many of the volunteers, who staff the Supplementary Schools, work in Luton schools as mainstream teachers and teaching assistants.
Collaborative activities between mainstream schools and their supplementary partners could include.
- Children who attend a Supplementary School giving a class presentation outlining the activities they do sharing the benefits they enjoy from attending
- Supplementary School staff giving an input to a staff meeting
- Head teachers or teachers visiting a Supplementary School attended by their own pupils
- Supplementary Schools inviting mainstream school staff to significant events such as prize-giving, cultural events
- Seeking collaborative opportunities between Primary Languages teachers and Supplementary School teachers on teaching and learning activities eg assessment for learning
Click here to see contact details of Supplementary Schools operating in Luton.